The new Parish Council can be found here
Wadhurst is an historic market town, with a Charter
dating from 1273. Almost at the northern extremity of East Sussex, the
centre of Wadhurst is 10 km south of Tunbridge Wells and 40 km from
the county town of Lewes.
The Parish covers an area of some 4100 hectares, and has many outlying
communities, including Sparrows Green, Cousley Wood, Woods Green, Durgates,
Best Beech, Tidebrook and parts of Mark Cross. Its population in 2001
was 5057, 2390 male and 2667 female; there were 1992 households with
1127 children under the age of 18.
The church of St Peter & St
Paul is set on the northern edge of the centre of Wadhurst and, with
its varied range of cast iron memorial slabs in the body of the church,
provides a constant reminder of the iron industry on which Wadhurst's
early prosperity was based.
Now it has a
range of local employment opportunities but increasingly relies
on the railway to support a growing commuter population.